Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] IEEE 802.11 Transmitter in X310s

From: Bastian Bloessl
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] IEEE 802.11 Transmitter in X310s
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 10:02:34 +0200

Hi,

On 04/09/2016 12:29 AM, Abhinav Jadon wrote:
Hi,
My setup consists of two X310s - one transmitter and one receiver -
connected with SMA cable.
The receiver code has been independently tested by capturing the AP packets.
The transmitter code was tested in a software loopback with the receiver.
The gains on both sides were adjusted such that  there was no clipping.
attenuator (-10db) were used to connect the two USRPs over SMA link.

The transmitter transmits the packet but at the receiver end, these
packets are not successfully decoded. A deeper look reveals that for a
high correlation value (0.8) , packets are being detected by the packet
detection mechanism but the signal field is decoded wrongly in all the
packets detected. . Since unit testing of every block was successful, it
was my hypothesis that the source of error lies on the
transmitter-hardware side.

I began scraping thorough the mail archives and got hold of this :
http://lists.ettus.com/pipermail/usrp-users_lists.ettus.com/2015-September/015576.html

This thread details on the problem related to burst transmissions in
X310. Apparently, the successive bursts are not same - the end of first
burst is appended to the second burst.

I don't have the hardware to verify the claim, but assuming that it is
correct. It still doesn't explain the wrong decoding of the signal field.

To avoid this and to give the device some time to stabilize at the beginning of a burst I usually pad the frame with zeros (Packet Pad block).

Also you could try to change the LO offset option (at sender and receiver) to tune the oscillator out of your band of interest.

Best,
Bastian