Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Quickstart comments related to Ubunto 15.10 (out

From: Chris Kuethe
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Quickstart comments related to Ubunto 15.10 (out of the box)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 20:07:50 -0700

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Gregory W. Ratcliff <address@hidden> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Well done on the new pybombs, works mostly.
>
> I installed and tested these on a whitebox PC, VMware VM and Dell 4500 quad
> core laptop.
>
> All systems used the .iso image installation from a clean system (formatted
> partition).
> apt-get update
>

> ***********
> Minor findings:
>
> The Git is required to be installed.  Easy to fix with apt-get install git

Thanks for the report. I've submitted a PR which adds git to the build
essentials.

> Executing pybombs install gnuradio osmosdr doesn't really work.  It seems
> like the last item on the list is attempted to build first.

For all of my comments below, could you post a build log someplace
illustrating the problem, as I have not seen these behaviors on my
builds this week (also using a U15.10 host).

I don't see what's wrong in building from the bottom up as long as
when I say "pybombs install gqrx"  gnuradio, uhd, airspy, rtlsdr, and
hackrf all build before gr-osmosdr uses them to produce a working GQRX
binary.

> I executued pybombs install gnuradio as a stand alone and about an hour
> later I had a working gnuradio system.
>
> Then pybombs install osmosdr worked.

There isn't any module called "osmosdr". There is "osmo-sdr" and
"gr-osmosdr". Are you saying that "pybombs install gr-osmosdr" failed
to compile? If so, that means there is a missing dependency
declaration that we should fix.

> UHD worked (isn't support nice!).

Indeed. It saves me a huge amount of time to use the PPA.

> Its not specifically mentioned in the quickstart that a fetch is required
> first.

Can't reproduce. What part required a fetch? On my systems I'm able to
"pybombs install ____" and everything necessary happens; apt-get, git,
gcc, etc. as appropriate.

> ********
> Major problem
>
> I fetched and installed gr-fcdproplus
> Build and install worked without error.
> Upon execution on a test flowgraph the long time swig bug/error came back
> (see below the ***)
> Anyone remember what the fix for this was?  Its not in anything I could find
> on the list.

Your error message mentions ControlPort. Could you check if
gr-ctrlport is installed with
    gnuradio-config-info --enabled-components