Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wideband Random Noise Cypherpunk Guerrilla Radio

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wideband Random Noise Cypherpunk Guerrilla Radio - Doc Req
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 19:09:35 +0200

Hi grarpamp,

nice idea, would be a shame if it was already being used, and partly
obsoleted ;)

What you describe, ie. spreading the signal over a large bandwidth is
World War II era innovation, and is nowadays called spread spectrum; and
current implementations use pseudorandom bit sequence generators to do
exactly that. For example, most UMTS/3G networks  and WiFi following the
IEEE802.11b standard do that. And as you might know, 4G is superseeding
3G (there's a lot of brain and money mobilized to develop 5G right now),
and 802.11b has been constantly superseeded by 802.11g and 802.11n
networks. All these technologies are based on OFDM to make use of a high
bandwidth. There's good technical/physical reasons for that, and looking
at these would be a nice, involved discussion that I can't possibly
squeeze in today. Basically, for communications to work, you need
modulations that are robust to a number of channel influences, and it
turns out that direct sequence spread spectrum (DSSS) as done by code
division multiple access (CDMA) systems mention before has serious
problems as soon you have more than one transmitter active at a time in
a typical, urban or indoor environment.

If you spread it extremely wide and basically put the power level, you
get what is called Ultra Wide Band. It's been an ongoing argument for
years whether that technology is dead by now or isn't. As a matter of
fact, it never made it to wide adoption, because of different, partly
political reasons. Also, its technological realization isn't possible to
combine with the type of SDR that GNU Radio does, most of the time.

Best regards,
Marcus