Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using the BCH and LDPC encoder from DVB-S2

From: Ron Economos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using the BCH and LDPC encoder from DVB-S2
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 15:31:57 -0700

Yes, you can use the BCH and LDPC blocks stand alone. However, the size of the input data block will be determined by the code rate and frame size. For example with the LDPC block, a code rate of 2/3 with normal frame size (64800 bits) would require input blocks of 43200 bits (5400 bytes). In the DVB-S2 specification, this number is called Nbch.

I had considered making the I/O pins on the LDPC and BCH blocks vectors (so that the above would be obvious), but felt it was too much work for not much in return (assuming they would never be used stand alone).

The parity bits are appended at the end of the input block. So in the above example, you'll see your original 43200 bits followed by 21600 parity bits. Note that the parity bits are differentially encoded.

Ron