Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Streaming IQ File Compression

From: Dave NotTelling
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Streaming IQ File Compression
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 14:20:46 -0400

Marcus & Dan,

     Thank you very, very much for the detailed information!

Dan: That's exactly what I thought when going into this at first.  But, I decided to give gzip a shot just to see how well it did.  Turns out that (at least for bursty environments) it almost halves the size of the original file.  It should be noted that the file was in fc32 format so there were likely a lot of unused bits there (or so I guess).

Marcus: I have been giving thought to truncating some of the bits.  Going as far as thinking about dropping from sc16 to sc8.  I have worked with 8 bit sample files before and had plenty of success demodulating, so I'm thinking that it might be an okay path to go down.  Dynamic range goes to hell, but it it's worked in the past...  I think that re-packing as 12 bit would give considerable space savings without a lot of CPU overhead.  I'll have to give that one a go :)  I really like your idea of using FLAC.  Just a quick Google search netted http://www.rtl-sdr.com/compressing-filtering-iq-data/.  What concerns me is that when I tried to use the command line flac in Ubuntu it said that the sample rate must be between 1 and 655349 Hz.  I'll have to poke around at it to see what happens when I set an incorrect bit rate (maybe a multiple of will be fine?).

Thank you both!

-Dave

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 5:14 AM, Marcus Müller <address@hidden> wrote:
Ah!

On 16.07.2016 11:04, Marcus Müller wrote:
> and maybe, but this is really speculation, you can just modify the
> error calculation to just ignore the 4 lower bits of the actual sample
> data, and safe another few percents of data volume.
Yeah, there's a FLAC__stream_encoder_set_bits_per_sample[0] function--
guess that you don't need to modify anything. Also, there's a whole
listing of things .._set_compression_level[1] sets internally. This
approach (using FLAC as lossless waveform encoder) might be really
interesting.

[0]
https://xiph.org/flac/api/group__flac__stream__encoder.html#gabfa3c989377785cda7c496b69dcb98cb
[1]