Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [Re: BER value]

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [Re: BER value]
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 22:26:05 +0200

Hi Antonio,

Could you tell me how can I solve the problem with the offset between the DPSK mod and demod?
Use a BER analysator with some kind of large window. In effect, I'd just write the raw send symbol stream to a file, do the same with the receive symbol stream, and calculate the error offline, if I hadn't had packets.

Likewise, as you say, I am using a packet-based transmission.
That makes BER a bit of a "secondary issue", doesn't it? Packets have checksums, and for all packets that contain bit errors, there's (hopefully) a high probability the checksum will be wrong, and the whole packet needs to be considered lost. Also, assuming symbol errors are equally likely for all symbols in a packet, you should be able to derive a PDF for the number of wrong bits per wrong packet, based on AWGN – yeah, it's that stuff from digital comm basics :)

Anyway, having packets makes the whole measuring a lot easier; you'll need to write a block that buffers both the send packets and the receive packets. I don't know your packet format, but it possibly has a packet number. Use that packet number to delete received packets from the send packet buffer. If a packet is broken, reconstruct its number from the next/previous successfully received packet. Note down the correct received packets as successfull bits, and count the missing and broken packets.

Best regards,
Marcus