Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-osmosdr driver development

From: Ch'Gans
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-osmosdr driver development
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 10:03:39 +1200

On 21 September 2016 at 09:28, Pablo Leyva Camacho <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding the developing an osmosdr source/sink
> driver.
>
> Today I have found that a couple of years ago, in the company I am working,
> some of my coworkers developed a FPGA based SDR platform for a private
> client. I have asked for the specifications and they are quite impressive;
> center frequency tunable from to 0-6GHz, 250Msps (I&Q), full-duplex… There
> are a few boards still lying around in the office and I would like to
> integrate them in gnuradio as a personal project. I am pretty sure that is
> going to be hard, but I will learn a lot in the process and it will be a
> great personal satisfaction.
>
> I am an FPGA guy (I develop DSP IP cores for FPGA) but I have already
> developed kernel drivers for Linux to interconnect our software layer with
> our processing chains in the FPGAs. But all of them were quite tailored for
> our requirements in each protect, so I have always defined my own interfaces
> and never work with interfaces defined by others.
>
> I am having a look at https://github.com/osmocom/gr-osmosdr to have a
> general idea about how other SDR platforms have implemented this interface,
> but I would like to know if you have some recommendations about where to
> start o how to guide the proyect.
>
> The platform itself is a ZYNQ FPGA with an embedded linux running in the ARM
> processor. In the old project all the processing and interfacing with the
> DAC, ADC, PLLs, VGAs, was implemented on the FPGA and the Linux system was
> handling some control and connectivity stuff over Ethernet.
>
> Instead of connecting the board directly to the USB of a computer (the
> platform has only usb 2.0 and avoiding all the usb driver stuff would be
> great) I was thinking about running gnuradio in the zynq system with a
> really simple flowgraph; Source/sink drivers, TCP conection and xmlrpc block
> to control all the parameters. Doing all the “real” processing in my host
> computer and sending to the board the processed data via Ethernet.
>
> Every comment, suggestion, reference, guide or critic is more than welcome!
> I would like to hear your opinions and if you have any question feel free to
> ask!

This platform is quite popular for industrial projects. I have myself
a project in the pipe to do SDR on such platform. Hopefully i'll be
starting early next year.

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Zynq might be a
good starting point.

The wiki says it's out of date, but apparently you can control a GR
block running in the FPGA.
Maybe it would be nice to update this wiki page with your latest recipe.

Chris