Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Poly phase channelizing in Blade Or USRP

From: duane
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Poly phase channelizing in Blade Or USRP
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 16:52:10 -0700

duane> It seems like a perfect fit for a poly phase filter - however
this is
duane> something that I believe needs to be done in hardware (128
channels *
duane> 200khz = about 60mhz sample rate this will not go over a USB
cable, and
duane> I doubt I can get this bandwidth into a laptop PC.

sylvain> !?!?

sylvain> 128 channels of 200 kHz = 25.6 MHz of bandwidth. You can
totally get
sylvain> that to a laptop.

Nyquest requires 2x samples = 51.2mhz sample rate
Assuming I/Q data 2x bytes =  102.4mbyte/second
At 8bit bytes = 819.6 mbits per second is the bit rate.

thats about 17% of the bandwidth of USB 3 (5gbit) however that does not
account for framing overhead, and other related things.
Figure another 10% loss for signaling over head.

You are correct it is possible

sylvian> B2xx or BladeRF will do that without issues given a
sufficiently good laptop.

You mean a USB 3 based solution possibly - but I have had very limited
success with USB 3 - they always seem to fall back to USB 2 speeds,
and/or - the data rate is not there - perhaps my experience is flawed
due to cheap data sources {ie: hard drives}

sylvian> If the transmission are "infrequent" you can even use the same
trick
sylvian> that researchers used a while back to listen to all of
bluetooth and
sylvian> deliberately alias the signal to fold the spectrum over itself.

I understand that, after 'unfolding' I need to get the actual channel
number. that's not possible if I do what you describe.

duane> Am I going to have to do FPGA work on my own?

sylvian> Very likely.

duane> Or - is there some existing cook book solution with the FPGA
duane> configuration pre-cooked?

sylvian> Very unlikely to find something "all done".
sylvian> Especially that if you don't want to ship the samples, a PFB is
not
sylvian> all you need. You'd need demod for each channel in the hardware
as
sylvian> well.

That is well understood.

duane> What I am looking for is the FPGA channelizer solution...
hopefully an
duane> existing one I could start with?

sylvian> There is an embryon of one in the ettus rfnoc repo and AFAIK
they
sylvian> might also replace it with another version soon.

sylvian> But it's written for RFNoC and Series-7 Xilinx fpga. It'll need
quite
sylvian> some adaptation to run on anything else.
sylvian> Also, AFAIU, it's incomplete and non-tested currently so ...
YMMV.

Thanks for the pointer.

-Duane.