Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fail to Connect to USRP 2910

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fail to Connect to USRP 2910
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 15:37:03 -0400

On 10/14/2016 03:28 PM, Bojun Sun wrote:

Hi all,

Maybe this is a basic question but I've been searching for the solution for a long time. Thanks in advance for helping me. Here is my situation:

I'm using one laptop connection method to connect two USRP 2920 with MIMO cable. When I plug Ethernet cable into my laptop, no LED light of the Ethernet port on USRP is on.

Methods I tried:

  • removed and connected the ethernet cable again for several times -- didn't work
  • removed and connected the power supply cables for several times -- didn't work
  • used command "uhd_find_devices" in Terminal to check the hardware connection, turned out "No UHD Devices Found"
  • tried command "ifconfig" in Terminal but it didn't show the ethernet connection
  • tried couple of ethernet configuration commands in Terminal -- didn't work

Previous work I did:

  • Successfully burned N210 firmware and FPGA images into both USRPs
  • Connected to another laptop with Ubuntu 12.04 OS, it can successfully recognize the USRPs; however, I have to use my laptop to finish the project.
  • Used Ethernet cable to connect to my network, it worked
  • Tried another laptop with Ubuntu Kylin 16.04 32-bit and had same problem

My question is: is it an USRP problem or my OS ethernet setting up problem? if it is my OS problem, how to solve it?

My system info:

  • Using latest GNU Radio (I think, because I followed the installation step by using "apt-get install gnuradio")
  • UHD version: 3.010 (followed "package manager method" from: https://files.ettus.com/manual/page_install.html )
  • OS: Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit
  • Two USRP 2920s connected by MIMO cable

Thanks and regards,

Bojun

Do *both* of your USRPs exhibit this behavior when used individually on your laptop?

Does your laptop have a 1GiGe port, or a 100BaseT port?   USRPs support only 1GiGe  (and 10GiGe on the X3xx series).