Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WX-GUI works only first time i run the grc

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WX-GUI works only first time i run the grc
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 13:23:43 +0100

Hi Constantino,

uh, that sounds like a bug, indeed. Might be a bug in our wxgui, might be a bug in your wx library (which wxgui uses), or might be a bug in your window manager.

Now for the very harsh truth: It also sounds like a bug that I've not heard before, and it's getting a bit hard these days to find people that know how to repair wxgui stuff – in fact, we're abandoning wxgui with GNU Radio 3.8, simply because there's no one to really maintain it.

Thus, if you can, try substituting all wxgui with qtgui things, and set the build option to qt instead of wx. I found there's many advantages to the Qt sinks (higher performance, helpful middle-mouse-button menu), but there's still some things that Qt GUI has not implement – a paper roll / seismograph-style instrument, for example.

You could also try, instead of launching the generated python program directly from GRC, to simply run it from a console after generating it – after all, everything that GRC effectively does is convert a graphical representation of a flow graph into an executable python program, which sets up said flow graph and then tells GNU Radio to run.

Best regards,
Marcus