Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] static peaks spectrum

From: Marc Pàmies Massip
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] static peaks spectrum
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 10:28:24 +0100

Oh, really? I was using a HackRF-One and sampling at 10MHz.

Now I've tried with different sample rates (8MHz, 10MHz, 12.5MHz and 16MHz) and the peaks are always there. Maybe it's true that they appear more often for higher sample rates, but I am not able to make them disappear.

Marc.

On 19/01/2017 9:38:34, Cinaed Simson <address@hidden> wrote:

On 01/18/2017 01:31 PM, Marc Pàmies Massip wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe this is a stupid question for experts in SDR, but I haven't find a
> clear explanation yet. I know it is normal to have a DC offset in the
> center of the spectrum, but I am surprised by the amount of static peaks
> that I see sometimes in specific bands (you can find attached some
> images to better understand what am I talking about). It is obvious that
> those are not "real" signals, in fact when I re-tune the SDR peripheral
> they don't move according to the frequency displacement. I want to
> understand if it is due to a software problem (the screenshots were
> taken from SDR#) or if it has something to do with the hardware (maybe
> those are just harmonics from some kind of square signal, i.e clock). I
> am worried because they are extremely strong and because of this I could
> have trouble detecting weaker signals nearby.
>
> Summarising, my questions are:
>
> - What causes those peaks?
> - Is it necessary to remove them for a proper signal detection?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Marc.

You haven't indicated what hardware you used or the sampling rate.

Try reducing the sampling rate - the sampling rate used may be unstable.