Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Combining gr-IEEE802.11 with NS2/NS3 For Simulati

From: Garver, Paul W
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Combining gr-IEEE802.11 with NS2/NS3 For Simulations
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 16:49:56 +0000

Hi Bastian,

This looks really useful and promising, thanks!

However, in general, I would avoid to setup large scale ns-3 simulations that model the phy on signal level. That get’s complicated and computationally complex. Maybe it is possible to make phy simulations, derive a simulation model from the results, and use the model in ns-3.

I’m assuming you mean “large scale” in the number of devices. I’m only looking to simulate PHY + MAC for ~10-20 devices.

I am most interested in some random variable distributions related to MAC timing, such as SIFS. I know you had a WiNTECH paper which gives some good insight, but looks like you logged it off of the WLAN card. I’m thinking for field data, just modify gr-IEEE 802.11g to measure this. With a USRP + GPSDO, timestamps should be quite good. For simulation, I’ll try PhySimWIFI.

PWG