Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How do I actually activate ControlPort?

From: Jawad Seddar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How do I actually activate ControlPort?
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 14:20:00 +0100

Hi Kevin,

I don't know about using the config line in .gnuradio/config.conf as mine looks something like this:

[ControlPort]
on = True
edges_list = True
[PerfCounters]
on = True
export = True

When I use gr-ctrlport-monitor or gr-perf-monitorx I always specify a host IP address and a port like this:
gr-ctrlport-monitor 127.0.0.1 9090

My guess is you are missing the host IP address part as highlighted by the error message you get (see the None:9090 in there?)
Maybe try something like: gr-ctrlport-monitor 127.0.0.1

Best Regards,
Jawad

I wanted to use the performance counters feature of GNU Radio, which requires getting ControlPort working. However, there seems to be a gap in the documentation.

I have read the information at http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/ControlPort and http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/page_ctrlport.html, and a third document I don't remember that explained Performance Counters configuration. I have created ~/.gnuradio/config.conf as follows:

[ControlPort]
on = True
edges_list = True
config = /Users/kpreid/.gnuradio/k-thrift.conf
[PerfCounters]
on = True
export = True

and k-thrift.conf contains the suggested values

[thrift]
port = 9090
nthreads = 2
buffersize = 1434
init_attempts = 100

Then I run my program and run either gr-ctrlport-monitor or gr-perf-monitorx, which says:

Could not connect to ControlPort endpoint at None:9090.

I have the feeling there's an undocumented step missing here. What is it?

I know that the configuration files are both being read because if I misspell the path to the thrift-specific file I get an error message that it doesn't exist.