[Discuss-gnuradio] Python/SWIG problems

From: Daniel P. Martin
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python/SWIG problems
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 22:11:09 -0400

I periodically run into problems with the Python/SWIG portion of my out-of-tree module builds. Wrapper modules are built by swig but appear empty.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.

The error I get when I try to run a typical flowgraph that uses my "abc_module" from GRC is

--------
Using Volk machine: avx2_64_mmx_orc
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/dmartin/Desktop/test/top_block.py", line 162, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/dmartin/Desktop/test/top_block.py", line 150, in main
    tb = top_block_cls()
  File "/home/dmartin/Desktop/test/top_block.py", line 114, in __init__
    self.environetix_periodic_burst_source_0 = abc_module.periodic_burst_source(([1,2,3,4,5]), samp_rate)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'periodic_burst_source'
-------

SWIG appears to run and generate the wrapper files during the make, but the wrapper files don't have the interface. I thought I'd fixed this by reinstalling GNU radio, but now a module that once built properly is failing as above. I can run python and "import abc_module" but "Dir(abc_module)" shows it to be empty.

There are multiple SWIG distribution/versions available. At one point I thought switching to SWIG 3.0 fixed this issue but the last time it cropped up switching to 3.0 had no effect.

Also, the "make install" installing wrappers in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages, though on another machine I have it has installed wrappers in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages.

Does anyone have tips or advice on debugging these issues?

Thanks,
Dan
--
Dr. Daniel Martin