Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing a python package without elevated priv

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing a python package without elevated privileges
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 20:02:14 +0100

Personal two cents: On most modern linuxes, you shouldn't be installing
mako via pip, and much less even numpy (because that's a huge compile
including fortran interfaces).

I just go and remove pip from the list of preferred packagers on my
systems¹. Never ran into problems with that. Now, I've never had the
need to install a python package that wasn't there as a distro package
in the last months on my recent systems, and on my retro systems I
typically not use pybombs, but your needs seem to be different. But
that's the problem here: PyBOMBS has to make sume assumptions on how you
want to install packages, and these include that pip needs to run as
root. Now, it seems that your ~/.local/bin/pip doesn't have the file
priorities set to allow others (including root, as it seems) to execute
it. You could check with "stat /home/nae/.local/bin/pip" what the
"Access" rights are. Should be something like 0755 / -rwxr-xr-x; my
guess is the last r-x is missing.

Best regards,

Marcus

¹ I'm even in personal disagreement with the folks maintaining Pybombs
on whether pip should be allowed to install things globally at all if a
package could potentially also be installed via native methods. But
generally, Pybombs is an awesome tool, and so is pip.