Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM implementation for high data rates

From: Ron Economos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM implementation for high data rates
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 15:43:20 -0700

There's the DVB-T transmitter and receiver in the Digital Television component of GNU Radio. It's capable of 31.6 Mbps in a standard 8 MHz bandwidth. (and can be used at higher bandwidths).

I have some OOT modules that allow sending IP packets over DVB. Note that these modules only implement the transmit portion and are meant to be used with commercial receivers.

https://github.com/drmpeg/gr-mpe

https://github.com/drmpeg/gr-ule

One of the drawbacks is that DVB-T is a streaming protocol, so a two-way link would require a full-duplex RF system. Also, latency is pretty high due to the long frame size used in DVB-T. You can get a much lower latency with the DVB-T2 transmitter (which has adjustable frame size), but there's no companion DVB-T2 receiver in GNU Radio (you have to use a commercial DVB-T2 receiver like the PCTV 292e).

Ron