Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC 3.7.11 on Windows crashes python.exe

From: Geof Nieboer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC 3.7.11 on Windows crashes python.exe
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 15:09:13 -0400

Martjin,

On the windows build, most likely the problem is in the build scripts... we build two versions, one with maximum optimizations for AVX2 capable CPUs, and a generic one.  Sometimes, however, AVX2 instructions get into the regular build for a number of reasons (qwt in particular has been an issue because of qmake's build system).  That will cause the "illegal instruction" error.

SO, if you can confirm the below:
1- The machine you are running on has a somewhat older CPU
2- You downloaded the installer from the "any CPU" link.

If those cases are true, then the bug is in my scripts.  As I don't have a HackRF, it's difficult to test.  Please let me know the answer to the above.  In the meantime, download the HackRF dll directly from www.gcndevelopment.com/gnuradio/downloads.htm (near the bottom), and drop that in the /bin directory to see if that fixes the problem (renaming the old version to .old just in case), and see if that patches things up.  That's the DLL from the last build, but I don't believe the driver has changed so it should work.

Geof