Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WBFM modulation/demodulation high frequencies hig

From: Johannes Demel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WBFM modulation/demodulation high frequencies highly attenuated
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 09:33:27 +0200

Hi Fernando,

If you want to use FM modulation, WBFM might still be the block to use.
The const values for the low_pass filter can be changed. You just need to take care that your sample rates etc. do not cause aliasing.

The two values that need to be reassigned are passband cutoff and stopband cutoff. For FM Radio transmissions the values 16kHz and 18kHz make a lot of sense. (15kHz is the maximum audio frequency and there's a pilot sine at 19kHz).

There are multiple ways to fix your problem.
1. Just hard code new values in. It'll fix your particular problem but will break other flowgraphs you might use.
2. Derive the cutoff frequencies from audio and quad sample rate.
3. Add new options to the block where you can specify these two values. (Make 16 and 18kHz the respective defaults). 4. Add another optional parameter, where you can provide the filter taps for the interpolator. It'll low you to specify all your properties (including cutoff frequencies)

Of course there's at least one more option. WBFM is a hier block. Just manually put interpolator, preemph and modulator together. Compare line 81. Then you'll be able to control all your parameters.

Have fun coding!

Cheers
Johannes