Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FM Modulation problem/question

From: Kevin Reid
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FM Modulation problem/question
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:06:56 -0700

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Brashendeavours <address@hidden> wrote:
My next question then, is since the deviation is affected by both amplitude and frequency, how would you recommend I empirically determine/set a peak deviation of 2400Hz for 1200Hz baseband?

The deviation is determined by the modulating signal and the modulator sensitivity only. The overall bandwidth, which I assume is what you actually want to control, is larger than that, and also depends on at what point you consider a sideband too weak to care about (the sidebands theoretically spread out across the entire spectrum, so you have to cut off your counting — or apply a filter — at some point).

I'm afraid I'm not the person to explain how to do what you want in more detail — I can spot some wrong notions but that's not the same as having all the right ones. Perhaps someone else can comment.