[Discuss-gnuradio] Questions regarding packet_tx and uhd_packet_tx

From: Rui ZOU
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Questions regarding packet_tx and uhd_packet_tx
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 10:31:43 -0400

Hi,

I'm studying the example packet_tx and uhd_packet_tx in /usr/local/share/gnuradio/examples/digital/packet. I have some questions regarding the process of packet transmission and the flow graph.

Why burst shaper block is needed? How do its parameters affect tx/rx?

Why polyphase arbitrary resampler block is needed? How do its parameters affect tx/rx?

Packets are generated at the host at fixed intervals with variable length in a range. What parameters are passed to the USRP to control the actual rate of transmission? Or this is not controlled explicitly by the flowgraph, so the USRP just transmits at whatever rate it sees suitable. Is it the sample rate of USRP sink?

From the flow graph, the process to generate baseband symbols is clear. How the modulating pulse is generated and how it is multiplied with the baseband symbols are not clear to me. Is it achieved by the polyphase arbitrary resampler block? In digital communication textbooks, the baseband modulating pulse is a continuous waveform. If generated in digital system, like using GNU Radio in a computer, how to do it then?

Regards,

Rui