Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 802.15.4 Frame sync confusion

From: Bastian Bloessl
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 802.15.4 Frame sync confusion
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 14:50:31 +0100

Hi,

On 10/18/2017 01:24 PM, sumit kumar wrote:
Hi,

If my understanding is correct, most of the 802.15.4 receiver implementations perform frame synchronization i.e. find the start of the frame using the preambles which are nothing but 8 zeros(each of which is further converted to 32 bit chip).

This is done after the OQPSK symbols (complex samples) are already decoded to bits. Same does the gr-ieee 802.15.4

It's actually working with the chip sequences not the data bits. When the receiver is not synchronized is searches for the chip sequence that corresponds to the zero data bits, i.e., the preamble. Once the sequence is found (when the chip sequence matches reasonably well), it continues to decode chip sequences with the known alignment (and looks for the SFD data bits).

That means the algorithm works already on a rather deep layer. I'm sure it could be much improved. It is just a simple approach that presents a tradeoff between performance and complexity (in terms of CPU time and implementation complexity).

Best,
Bastian