Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Serious bug in tag propagation with non-integer r

From: Andy Walls
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Serious bug in tag propagation with non-integer relative rate
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2018 10:53:46 -0500

Hi Marcus:

On Sun, 2017-12-31 at 15:09 +0000, Müller, Marcus (CEL) wrote:
> Hi Andy, hi Eugene
>
> Hm, coming back to an idea I had not so long ago:
>
> tag offset should not be 64bit unsihned integers only, but also have
> 64 bit fractional part.
>
> That would not immediately solve the computational inaccurracy during
> resampling, but would at least for multi (as in >2) rate systems (eg.
> rational resampling for sample rate reduction, arbitrary resampling
> for
> clock recovery) at least give the option of having consistent
> tagging.

IMO, adding a fractional part does not solve the problem at hand -
correct tag propagation through 1 block - but it probably is required
for precise propagation through multiple rate changing blocks.

I'm keeping it in mind, but I want to avoid changing existing
interfaces right now.  I.e. get_tags_in_[range|window]() runs into a
backward compatability issue for a tag that comes < 0.5 samples before
the beginning of the requested range: should the tag offset -0.49
samples realtive to the start of the window be returned or not?

> Personally, my gut feeling is that for this kind of divisional math,
> floating point is not the number format of choice

Agreed.

>  (for multiple (as in
> > 2) reasons).
>
> This actually doesn't apply to the arbitrary resampling case as much,
> but the d_relative_rate property of a block shouldn't be a floating
> point,

Internal to the gnuradio-runtime there are a number of places where,
for estimating, using a floating point d_relative_rate is just fine.
It is expedient and avoids the problem of interger overflow for cases
where one has large integer interpolation and decimation factors.

> but a ratio of two integers, one of them being signed. Maybe I
> should be adding a set_relative_rate(int64_t numerator, uint_64_t
> denominator) to block, and make set_relative_rate(double) a wrapper
> for
> that (and of course change the block_executor to do fractional rather
> than floating point math);

So that's what my change does. :)  I also changed all the blocks, that
could easily easily call the integer version of
set_relataive_rate(interpolation, decimation), to do so.

To avoid integer overflow, I picked an algoritm in the new
set_relative_rate(double) wrapper, to convert the relative rate to a
ratio of two integers that got within 1 ppm of the passed in relative
rate.  Because sane users only use relative rates of 1/25 or 1001/1000
or 255/256 or 2/3 or something like that, and whacky relative rates
using large (>16 bit) integers in the ratio are just a product of
rounding, right?  Well I was wrong. :(

Unfortunately, the fractional resampler is a corner case that actually
uses the rounded (in binary) version of the resampling rate, that the
user specifies, in its actual operation. Computing exact integer ratios
to represent the double can lead to 53 bit numbers (IIRC), which can
lead to integer overflows when multiplying uint64_t's together. :(

So what I'm left with are two broad options to deal with handling a
double relative rate (like the fractional resampler uses):

1. Implement an method like Eugene suggests: do a double multiply, get
a rounded result, do a double division to get back to an initial
offset, subtract off that initial offset, do a double multiply again,
and then a final add.

or

2. Allow and compute large, exact integer ratios of
interpolation/decimation rate and use multiple precision (128 bit)
arithmetic when overflow out of 64 bits is possible.
Maybe using boost::multiprescision with the MIPR library on the
backend.
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_66_0/libs/multiprecision/doc/html/index
.html
http://mpir.org/
(MPIR is supposedly better for Windows compatability than GMP.)

I'm leaning towards option 2.

> I find that I never calculate a rate other
> than by calculating the floating point approximation of a fraction of
> integers, and that there's always been subtle problems when running
> odd
> ratios for prolonged times.

Technically a finite precision double can always be represented by a
ratio of integers, but those integers can be very (2^53-ish) large.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Andy