Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Project Leadership Updates

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Project Leadership Updates
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 16:15:55 +0000

Hello everyone!

I think it's time that I finally also lose a couple of words on this
topic:

Thanks everyone for making GNU Radio the most popular SDR framework
with certainly the most interesting community! This, especially,
applies to Johnathan, whose contributions on all levels, technically,
financially, as well as personally, are invaluable to the presence and
future of this framework.

I'm still a bit overwhelmed by the idea of managing the technical side
of all of this. As Ben said, we have a couple immediate issues to
tackle,  but this leadership change doesn't come with only a set of
freshly identified challenges, but also with a lot of opportunities,
which I'm planning to take. We'll try to divide the workload a bit more
evenly, which implies also dividing responsibilities, and I hope that
leads to a high development coordination capacity while keeping the
code quality up :)

So, a bit on what to expect in the next week(s):
First of all, although I really feel we should be getting 3.8 out as
soon as possible, that also means: Not a day earlier; we'll take the
time to merge pending PRs, release a 3.7.xx version, and define what
will be part of 3.8, and what will then be on the master branch for the
 release after that.
There will be slight changes to the dev process, but details on that
are pending while I try to meet up with a bunch of people with whom I
want to coordinate this.
I will hurry myself as much as feasible, but some features simply take
time, and my mision is to foster long-term active development, which
means that it's equally important to not frustrate users nor
developers; the next thing we'll do is sit together and find what the
"minimum viable release" is that doesn't obstruct future development
and get that ready for the masses!

As said, we'll not abandon anything anytime soon, but we will focus on
developing "forward", whilst keeping 3.7 nicely running and bug-free.
Part of that plan is that I consider the 3.8 release to be "relatively
soon", but that really depends on the feature set we define to be in
3.8. I won't be doing that definition alone; we'll all discuss this.
Basically, I feel that the most important features of 3.8 are Python 3
and Qt5, but these also come with effects on a lot of other subsystems.
Note that anything that doesn't make it into the 3.8 release is far
from being abandoned – we'll definitely crank up the release frequency.

I feel I'm already being overly specific and lengthy; a lot of this
process will actually unfold in the next two, three weeks. Clearly,
we'll have to come up with some kind of documentation (and if it's just
a blog post) that explains how we want to proceed, and I promise we'll
do that, as things fall into place.

On a personal note, I'm super happy to be part of this, and I know I've
been handed an impressive piece of software, a fantastic and actually
historically rich ecosystem, and anyone who's been observing me on the
mailing list hopefully realizes how much I like the community. The
speed of all this surprises even me, so please bear with me while I
sort out how to actually *do* all this. There's really so much more
that one wishes one had the time (and army of developers) for to
implement than I'll be able to do within a couple years of time frame,
so the trick really is finding out what the project needs the most.

Therefore, the thing I'd really like to ask everybody right now is to
do is sit down and think about where they'd like the project to move
from here, and discuss that. We're setting up a very Python Enhancement
Process-alike thing so that such ideas don't go to waste, without
adding the bureaucratic overhead of having a hierarchical idea
collection process. It's certain that if anything, we must encourage
users to become contributors, no matter whether it's in shape of bug
reports, pull requests, requests for architectural features, or simply
by engaging with each other. Same goes for developers (which are users,
too): I'll need you to be as productive as possible, so I'll try to get
into your way as little as feasible.

So, now I'll have to mentally prepare for FOSDEM; if you're there, come
see me, say hello, but please don't expect me to have qualified answers
for complex development questions just yet :)
Anyway, I **know** you'll either be in the SDR devroom at FOSDEM on
Sunday, or neglecting your social live by watching the videos, so

see you and:

Best regards,

Marcus
(freshly baked GNU Radio Project Maintainer)