Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GREP] GNU Radio Coding Guidelines

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GREP] GNU Radio Coding Guidelines
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 19:29:54 +0000

Happy hacking Friday, everyone!

Following up on this:
Thanks, Martin, for getting this rollin'!
I'd like to especially thank Gilad, who's been invaluable – he's been
very actively engaging with Martin here, and that has improved the
document very significantly. Keep up the great work!

With those improvements, I think that GREP is actually ready for a
merge. That means: On Monday, I'll merge that pull request in its
"Draft" status. That means it's not enacted yet, but still open for
discussion and amendment – and because we're huge nerds (actually,
because we believe in doing this in a professional and well-structured
manner), the preferred way of amendment is doing GREP-changing Pull
Requests, to open issues on github, or to engage in discussions on the
mailing list.

So, please do take the chance and take a quick glance over that
documents in its current state, and review & comment! As mentioned, on
Monday, this will enter its Draft state, and all of you (especially
Gilad) are more than welcome to continue the evolution of our Coding
Guidelines by then contributing issues and pull requests.

To give you all a quick overview about the further life cycle of GREPs
in general:

            +----> ACCEPTED +-> [Discussions] +----> FINAL
            |                                 |
 DRAFT +----+                                 +----> ACTIVE
   ^        |
   |        +-|--> REJECTED
   |          |
   |          +--> WITHDRAWN
DEFERRED

I'm not the only editor, but I'd argue the DRAFT is pretty eligible to
be ACCEPTED, as it's on-topic, scoped well enough and actually helpful,
so we'll probably hold a short editor's board meeting later that week,
and move the thing to the accepted state. During all this time, as said
above, comments and amendments of any kind are already welcome!

After having been ACCEPTED, it's likely that this GREP will become
ACTIVE. Coding guidelines are nothing set in stone for eternity, and I
guess we'll find things that we wished we've talked about earlier, and
will want to add that to the document. The active state encourages
discussion and ongoing improvement. Again, that's something that I
don't decide on my own – discussion is encouraged, and the editor's
board just ensures the things we do are sane.

I'm really happy about the speed that things are taking up right now!

Best regards,
Marcus