[Discuss-gnuradio] VOLK v1.3.1 and v1.4

From: West, Nathan
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] VOLK v1.3.1 and v1.4
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 21:05:19 -0400

Hi all,

After a long time, new Volk releases are out. Release notes and downloads are in the normal places on libvolk.org with md5sums and signatures signed by me (address@hidden).

v1.3.1 is a support release with bug fixes. I've switched to the "merge back" model for this release where everything goes in to master and I cherry-pick commits back to a support branch. I think this makes it easier to keep all of the changes in one place-- but I'd like to know what kind of support users would like. If you care about stable APIs for a long time I'd like to hear about it so that I can develop a sense of how long or how many "stable" branches I should keep around.

v1.4 has a ton of new stuff... It builds with python3, has new kernels, new protokernels with lots of AVX support, and some added NEON support. I'm pretty excited about this release since it adds a good bit of fast code!

Call for development:
v1.5 is not out yet (or started), but I imagine that it will add support for AVX512 and purge boost (that might make it in to a v1.4.1) as a dependency and maybe replace some verbose support code with c++11. Right now there are 2 remaining lines that require boost. If you care about that kind of thing check out the boost::filesystem use in volk_profile. I have heard of someone adding AVX512 support, but I don't have a machine that supports it-- continue down that path if you have a machine with support!

Cheers,
Nathan