[Discuss-gnuradio] Synchronizing to an external data stream ?

From: Carlo Manfredini
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Synchronizing to an external data stream ?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 22:17:25 +1000

Hi all, newbie question.I have experience with hardware approaches but am fairly new to SDR and am keen to get into its massive capabilities.

I have an external 2.1 kbps bipolar digital data stream I wish to sample into GR via an audio sampling device (audio source) which samples at 48k. That part is fine.

However I need to be able to align my sampling with the incoming stream so that I can convert the bits into symbols for some IQ modulation work I wish to do.

The data rate and the audio sampling rate are independent of each other and obviously of different rates.

My thoughts are that I need to do data rate clock recovery (to extract the 2.1 kbps clock) so that I can align and convert the samples into bits for the further modulation processing etc.

I have unsuccessfully tried fractional sampling, polyphase clock sync, clock recovery MM & costas loop in various ways. My lack of success is most likely due to my not being sure of which approach to pursue.

Can someone suggest an approach which is most likely to succeed so that I can focus on that until I get a correct result.

Thanks.