Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Block to Load Taps From File

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Block to Load Taps From File
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 16:19:04 -0700

On 04/21/2018 09:07 AM, Maximilian Stiefel wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> it is as far as I know not that convenient to import taps from a filter
> design file to a design in grc.
>
> On stackoverflow it was mentioned, that there is apparently a
> workarround using numpy.fromfile('filename'):
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36744843/passing-taps-to-the-filter-using-file-in-gnuradio#36771263
>

> However, this did not work for me, because numpy wants, so it seems, a
> plain csv file with the tap values. For this reason, I wrote a small
> block and pushed it to my fork to make it more convenient to just use
> the taps created with the gorgeous gr filter design tool. The block
> allows the following convenient work-flow:
>
> Filter Design -> Save to File -> Add File Taps Loader block to grc
> design and by that import taps into grc design -> Change filter design
> in design tool -> Taps are automatically up-to-date.
>
> https://github.com/m3x1m0m/gnuradio/blob/file_taps_loader/gr-blocks/python/blocks/file_taps_loader.py
>

> https://github.com/m3x1m0m/gnuradio/blob/file_taps_loader/gr-blocks/python/blocks/qa_file_taps_loader.py
>

> https://github.com/m3x1m0m/gnuradio/blob/file_taps_loader/gr-blocks/grc/blocks_file_taps_loader.xml
>

> Is this of any interest for others?

I think anything that makes loading filter taps easier is a great idea.
For the record, Maximilian has also posted this on github:
https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/issues/1746

As well as a PR: https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/pull/1753

Jeff and Andrej have already commented -- please join the review if
you're interested!

> Also, I was for some reason not able to force the block being integrated
> into the section "File Operators". How is this done?

You should just need to put it here:
https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/blob/5d63762a6431ecf0fa5f2d1db1222a1f71b180a7/gr-blocks/grc/blocks_block_tree.xml#L71-L82

Does that not work?

-- M