Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] An analog RF question

From: Dan CaJacob
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] An analog RF question
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 13:59:22 -0400

Hey Marcus,

This may not be what you are looking for, but these are awesome. They may be going to space soon :)  http://www.newedges2.com/products/SAX239-R2_Datasheet_February-27th-2018.pdf

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 10:13 PM address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
I used to work at Maxim, but my dealings with those RF guys dealt more
with coffee and the quality thereof.

I looked at the Maxim chip. The filter is relatively steep but not
complex. Looks like two or three poles maximum. I don't know
specifically about that chip, but that group had SiGe technology, so
I'm leaning towards variable transconductance to do the tuning.

You quickly learn just how bad google is at doing a search for this
technology. The buzz phrase you need is continuous time, so I suggest
"variable continuous time baseband filter". Sadly OTA gets links to
"over the air." (And yet, they claim artificial intelligence will take
over the world.)

The thing to note in any highly integrated analog chip is that you
don't see the sausage being made. Once you have a system on a chip, the
metric is the system performance, not the performance per se of any
individual block. So those filters may not be as great as you think.
Note the Maxim part shows a tempco on the corner frequency, which could
imply variable transconductance. One you have bipolar elements in the
process, variable transconductance is just a matter of tail current.
(SCF performance was relatively temperature independent.)

Getting back to seeing the sausage, take the old analog modem market.
Initially the SCF tech was used to make the official Bell 212 filters.
Once the modem was fully integrated, the on-board filters were
simplified for a number of really good engineering reasons, not just
cost. One was the harmonic distortion of the band split filters. The
harmonics of the in-band signal were far greater than the out-band
signal that you were trying to reduce.

Getting back to these baseband filters, if you use a ladder design, the
filter is relatively immune to component error, well as opposed
(contrasted) to a chain of biquads. If you go full differential, the
variable transconductance amp are reasonably linear. But probably they
limit the number of poles for the same harmonic distortion problem.
Filters should subtract, not add.

Most of the transconductance based filter designs probably are
derivatives of integrated video filters. Plenty of papers online for
those designs.

If your goal is to roll together your own filter, TI has app notes on
how to make analog tracking filters.