Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Selecting the precise sampling point from many sa

From: Carlo Manfredini
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Selecting the precise sampling point from many samples
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 22:09:23 +1000

Thank you for your detailed reply.
I've taken a look at those links and for now are having some success using the Clock Recovery MM block with default settings (and 24 samples/symbol) to capture the data at 2kbps...followed by a Bit Slicer.

After I modulate this 2kbps bit stream to 4-QAM I have a complex  1kSymbol/s stream...as a data stream...with bandlimiting from the QAM block.

Can you suggest how I can pad this out so that I can output it from my 48kSps DAC device  such that it is output at a real rate of 1kSymbol/sec ?

Ive tried out "repeat" blocks but without any significant progress.

What is the best approach for this situation of having to transpose a data  stream to a specific output rate ?

Regards.

On 1 June 2018 at 22:25, Andy Walls <address@hidden> wrote:
> From:         Carlo Manfredini
> Date:         Fri, 1 Jun 2018 21:24:26 +1000
> Hello,
> I have a 2kbps bipolar data stream (in hardware) which I will sample
> at 48kSps and bring into GR.
> Once in GR, I wish to be able to sample only once per bit...so I use
> the "Keep 1 in N" block (where N=24) and this reduces my rate to
> 2kSps...with 1 sample per original data bit.
>
> However, I wish to be able to control exactly at which point in the
> 48kSps stream that I sample down to 2kSps.
>
> This is equivalent in hardware terms to being able to select at which
> point in each bit period that I sample once per bit.ie: selecting the
> decision point in an eye pattern).
>
> The reason for this process is that I simply wish to read in the
> original 2kbps bit stream so that I can use this data to do some PSK
> modulation in GR etc...but my inputting device only runs at 48kSps.
>
> Is there some way with existing GR blocks that I can tell where
> abouts in the 48kSps stream that I have actually sampled ? so that I
> can manually set this sampling point.

This is precisely the function of the Symbol Synchronization blocks.

https://www.gnuradio.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Andy-Walls-Samples-to-Digital-Symbols.pdf

You should play with the example here:

https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/blob/master/gr-digital/examples/demod/symbol_sync_test_float.grc
https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/blob/master/gr-digital/examples/demod/symbol_sync_test_float_ted_gain.m

You'll probably want to do something like:

 -> Decimating FIR filter -> FIR Filter -> Symbol Sync -> Binary Slicer ->

The first decimating FIR filter would anti-alias filter and downsample
by, let's say, 2 or 4, to bring the stream down to either 12 or 6
samples per symbol.

The second FIR filter would be a pulse matched filter, to get rid of
noise and peak the symbol centers.  (You can merge this filter into the
previous filter, if you want.)

The Symbol Sync block estimates the exact symbol centers, and
downsamples to just those sample points.

The binary slicer just thresholds its input samples to give you 1 or 0
valued samples on output.

> Perhaps a simpler question is : how do I know where the "Keep 1 in N"
> block is sampling ?

You don't.

Regards,
Andy