Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help on gnuradio

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help on gnuradio
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 14:02:09 -0400

On 06/20/2018 01:05 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Hi, I am new to the gnuradio environment..so please forgive me... I have an USRP B200 and I am looking to save to a file I & Q samples of bursty, random (ALOHA) messages sampled at high rate, for furter processing (in a repeatable fashion). Of course it is not possible to save 15--20 mminutes of data at 50MSPS, but using something like a "valve" (deprecated in GRC) it vould be possible:
1) to detect in real time the burst data transmission
2) to open the valve towards a file sink
A separate file could be used to record timestamp and/or length of data blocks recorded

Looking at  GRC I haven't found any useable block to build a valve used at run time based on a threshold (e.g. output of a filter to detect the TX random signal) . Could anybody help?
Thanks a lot

Here's a "trick".

Have your threshold detector switch the output of the file sink between /dev/null and an actual file.

There's also power squelch, which can either insert zeros, or act as a "gate".