Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Request for Help: next branch

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Request for Help: next branch
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 18:08:44 -0700

On 06/29/2018 01:38 PM, Cinaed Simson wrote:
> On 06/29/2018 09:46 AM, Martin Braun wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> you all saw Marcus' announcement on the state of 'next' branch (if you
>> haven't, go take a look at his email with the subject ("`next` branch:
>> Now incorporating Python3").
>
> Not sure if this is a developer only message, but if it isn't would
> someone post the git command to clone the 'next' branch? I only know a
> couple of git commands - 'git clone -g' didn't help me.
>
> And I'm not sure I can help other then testing the build - I've never
> used Python 3 but I'm willing to learn.

Cinaed,

thanks for asking this. We sometimes forget what's common knowledge and
what's now.

Here's some pointers:

- To clone the 'next' branch, run

    $ git clone <url-to-gnuradio>
    $ git checkout next

- If you're using PyBOMBS, you can create a dedicated 'next' prefix:

    $ pybombs prefix init -a next /path/to/prefixes/next
    $ pybombs config --package gnuradio gitbranch next
    $ pybombs -p next install gnuradio

- If you have Python3 installed, 'next' branch will prefer that over
Python2, so you don't have to do much to test Python 3 other than
install it.

If you're on Ubuntu, you will need to run:

    $ sudo apt install python3-dev python3-numpy python3-scipy
python3-lxml python3-mako python3-gi-cairo python3-pyqt5 python3-yaml
python3-six

PyBOMBS will probably get that wrong (it's getting better with Py2/3,
but it's not quite there yet).

(I think I got them all). Also, make sure you have SWIG 3.

Once GNU Radio is compiled, running 'make test' is a good place to start.

Cheers,
Martin