[Discuss-gnuradio] Issues with custom message source block

From: Chris Reffett
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Issues with custom message source block
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 16:22:23 -0400

Hi all,

In the project I'm working on, I'm trying to step through a list of frequencies and scan them, with the set of frequencies and the step interval as configurable options. As part of this, I'm trying to make a message source block that does the frequency stepping (i.e. it takes the list of frequencies and the step interval as parameters, and every $step_interval it puts out a message with the new frequency). I figured this would be pretty simple, and implemented it in Python. Problem is...it doesn't do anything. I can debug-print from __init__ and see that variables are getting set, but it seems like work() is never getting called (debug print messages never print, and I don't see any messages coming out of the block). Am I missing something to make the block actually do its work? The block is attached.

Of course, if there's a better way to do the frequency stepping, I'm all ears (though note that I'm using the osmocom source block which doesn't have a control message port, which adds to the challenge).

Thanks,

Chris Reffett