Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing gnuradio using pybombs

From: Roland Schwarz
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing gnuradio using pybombs
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 13:11:42 +0200

Hi Marcus!

first things first: Thank you for your helpful post!

Am 2018-08-14 um 21:31 schrieb Müller, Marcus (CEL):
> ... are best submitted to
> https://github.com/gnuradio/gr-recipes/issues
> to Pybombs itself:
> https://github.com/gnuradio/pybombs/issues/

Ok, did it. Will see what happens.

> sudo apt install gnuradio-dev
>
> should do that. You can also install all the tools necessary to build
> GNU Radio (but my wild guess is this does nothing new, so try it):
>
> sudo apt build-dep gnuradio

For me build-dep gave a quite long list - interesting. Also, although I
have successfully running gnuradio and gnuradio-dev it wanted to pull in
something (jack related) that did not install smoothly (I fixed it with
the help of aptitude).

The following steps worked almost without issues. I had no problem with
finding the gr-filter (at least there were no complaints during config),
but I had a small problem during compile, due to some int to char
conversion errors. (You should not initialize a char with 0xff, better
use '\xff'.)

Since in a later step you are suggesting a script to source some
env-vars I'd rather suggest to use virtualenv and virtualenvwrapper,
since I find myself often coding in python.

So I did the following
> mkdir build
> cd build

mkvirtualenv gr-op25
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$VIRTUAL_ENV

> make -j4 #-j4 is for four parallel compilations
> make install # doesn't need sudo if the prefix is writable by you

then I add the following to
$VIRTUAL_ENV/bin/postactivate

#!/bin/bash
# This hook is sourced after this virtualenv is activated.

export OLD_LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$VIRTUAL_ENV/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export OLD_GRC_BLOCKS_PATH=$GRC_BLOCKS_PATH
export GRC_BLOCKS_PATH=$VIRTUAL_ENV/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks

and the following to
$VIRTUAL_ENV/bin/predeactivate

#!/bin/bash
# This hook is sourced before this virtualenv is deactivated.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$OLD_LD_LIBRARY_PATH
unset OLD_LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export GRC_BLOCKS_PATH=$OLD_GRC_BLOCKS_PATH
unset OLD_GRC_BLOCKS_PATH

Now one can just type

workon gr.op25
gnuradio-companion

And later when needing another env, either
workon somethinother

or just

deactivate

> Tadaaa!

So thank you again for having got me started!

P.S. The *activate scripts can also be set on a global (user-global)
level. This should come handy when one needs to purge and recreate
environments more often.

Best regards,
Roland

  _  _  | Roland Schwarz