Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Phase Synchronization Across Channels in X310

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Phase Synchronization Across Channels in X310
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 14:29:57 -0400

On 08/17/2018 05:37 AM, Zhan Yanjun wrote:

Hello everyone,

A while ago I came across an issue in running GNURadio with my version of UHD and I have followed instructions from the Ettus website https://kb.ettus.com/Building_and_Installing_the_USRP_Open-Source_Toolchain_(UHD_and_GNU_Radio)_on_Linux

Now the UHD version is UHD_3.11.0.HEAD-0-ga1b5c4ae, and the Gnuradio is version 3.7.13.4, and everything runs fine.

Everything was done on a fresh installation of Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS.

Now, I want to do synchronous recording of all 4 channels on one X310 SDR chassis, but when I check the phase of the signal at each channel, they are not in phase.

Initially, I thought that it should have something to do with the internal LO, so I tried various combinations of the LO configuration:

1.     Internal, companion, companion, companion

2.     Internal, companion, external, external

3.     Internal, companion, external, companion

4.     all internal

But, it still does not work. I have connected the LO RF cables in a criss-cross fashion inside the chassis as well to pass the LO configuration to the neighbouring 2 channels.

Attached here is a snapshot of the GNURadio flowchart I designed for that purpose.

I also tried to install the latest UHD version in my computer, but it is unable to work with FPGA image (non-release version). Because the X310 are not mine, I cannot update FPGA image.

Have you all come across this issue before? Please share your views on this, any help is much appreciated! I have tried installing and reinstalling the programs a few times, but the conclusion is still the same, and the phases across the channels do not match.

Thanks and regards,

YJ

Don't forget that the LO link cables are of non-zero length electrically, so there will be some phase offset between the two cards that you'll need
  to compensate for.