Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error While trying to install gnuradio via PyBomb

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error While trying to install gnuradio via PyBombs
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 12:15:23 +0000

Dear Elad,

Ubuntu 14.04 is no longer supported by the current development version
of GNU Radio.

You could instruct pyBOMBS to install gnuradio-stable instead of
gnuradio.

But I'll be honest: update your OS. It's old to ancient, and even
Canonical will not claim it's supported in 4.5 months[1]. So, before
trying to install new software, this might be an excellent point in
time to update!

Note, especially, that if you use a modern distro version, the version
of GNU Radio that you can install using `apt` is recent enough, so you
don't even have to go through a source build but can simply install via
`apt install gnuradio`!

If you want a very recent version of GNU Radio and accompanying
software, I'd go for debian (debian testing, or if you feeling bleeding
edge, debian sid) instead of Ubuntu. Canonical basically only rebrands
the debian packages[2], and with Maitland Bottoms, we've got a very
involved and competent debian package maintainer. If you choose Ubuntu,
not quite sure what to recommend: the non-LTS releases of Ubuntu
quickly *become* unsupported and thus are a bit of a hassle, whereas
the current LTS release 18.04 already contains an outdated GNU Radio
[3].

Generally: PyBOMBS is nice if you want multiple GNU Radio prefixes,
cross-compilation. If you just want to get GNU Radio, install it as
binary. On modern Linuxes, that's not a problem.

Best regards,
Marcus

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
[2] https://packages.debian.org/testing/gnuradio