Re: [Discuss-gnustep] Localization

From: Igor Roboul
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnustep] Localization
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:52:49 +0400

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 05:54:30PM +0100, richard@brainstorm.co.uk wrote:
> koi8 I think.
You are correct.
About GNOME and other X11 stuff. By some strange reason "standart" XFree
instalation on most Linux distros contain bad thing in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias. They assume that default
charset in Russia is ISO8859-5. If you'll correct ISO8859-5 to
KOI8-R gtk/gdk will not anymore complain.
After many questions I have answered on wmaker-list this is now in Window
Maker FAQ.
Strange thing about ISO8859-5. In Unix (in Free Unix) world in Russia
standart is KOI8-R. In Windows, we have Win1251. For Mac there is
Mac-cyrillic or something like this. MS-DOS and OS/2 and SCO use
IBM CP866. And only Solaris by default uses ISO8859-5

I have LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R and all correct X11 apps happy with this.
Also all text mode apps which have setlocale(LC_ALL,"") somewhere
in begining also happy with this.

--
Igor Roboul, Unix System Administrator & Programmer @ sanatorium "Raduga",
Sochi, Russia