Re: NSString:stringWithFormat: Example? (OPENSTEPIFIED)

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: NSString:stringWithFormat: Example? (OPENSTEPIFIED)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 19:06:17 +0200 (CEST)

> From: Patrick Stein <jolly@jinx.de>
> Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:50:39 +0200
>
> richard@brainstorm.co.uk wrote:
> >
> >#include <Foundation/Foundation.h>
> >main()
> >{
> >  CREATE_AUTORELEASE_POOL(pool);
> >  NSString   *myString;
> >
> >  myString = [NSString stringWithFormat: @"A C string '%s' and a number
> '%d'",
> >    "hello", 42];
> >  NSLog(@"Result is - @%", myString);
> >  RELEASE(pool);
> >}
> >
> The above will only work on GNUSTEP not OPENSTEP - please keep in mind to be
> OPENSTEP compliant you
> have to use the common subset.
>
> CREATE_AUTORELEASE_POOL(pool);
> should be
> NSAutoreleasePool *myPool = [[AutoreleasePool alloc] init];
>
> and
> RELEASE(pool);
> should be
> [myPool release];
>

>                                              keep on moving - jolly

Right. That's  why, GNUstep extensions should appear  only in separate
headers and sources, that may be compiled in a separated library to be
used  on  the  other  OpenStep  implementation when  we  port  GNUstep
applications.

Then:

    #include <Foundation/Foundation.h>
    #include <GNUstep/GSAutoreleasePool.h>
    main()
    {
      CREATE_AUTORELEASE_POOL(pool);
      NSString  *myString;

      myString = [NSString stringWithFormat:
                      @"A C string '%s' and a number '%d'",
                      "hello", 42];
      NSLog(@"Result is - @%", myString);
      RELEASE(pool);
    }

would be correct and compilable on any OpenStep implementation.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__    PGP Key ID:      0xEF5E9966
mailto:pjb@imaginet.fr    PGP fingerprint: 00 F5 7B DB CA 51 8A AD 04 5B

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against html email and Microsoft attachments.
/\ Software patents are endangering the computer industry all around the world.
   Join the LPF:     http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/      http://petition.eurolinux.org/