Re: double-click + shift help

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: double-click + shift help
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 14:50:31 +0000

On Friday, December 22, 2000, at 03:02 PM, Nicola Pero wrote:

> ``For example, if the user selects a word by double-clicking, the
> selection granularity is set to NSSelectByWord. Subsequent shift-clicks
> then extend the selection by words.''
>
> I don't understand exactly this description and in general I have no idea
> how shift-clicking is supposed to work.  And - more importantly :-) - how
> did this stuff work on the real nextstep ?

When you double-click, a word is selected, when you then shift-click, the
selection is extended from the word already selected to include the word
that you shift-clicked on.

> I thought that shift-clicking in general should extend the current
> selection, so I guess that you would have to double-click a word to have
> the word selected, then press shift, then double click while keeping shift
> pressed on a near word to extend the selection to include the new word as
> well - rather than resetting the selection to only include the new word.
> Is this correct ?

Almost - the shift-click is a single click rather than a double-click ...
the system remembers that the last selection was by a double-click, and
extends by word.

> But then does the macosx doc say that if you double click, then press
> shift, then simply click on a near word while keeping shift pressed, the
> selection is extended by word even if you are doing now a simple click ?

Yes - that's how it works - the selection behavior is determined by the
original single/double/triple click, the later shift-click ignores the
count of new clicks.
ie if you did an initial triple-click, then hold down the shift key and
click elsewhere, the selection is extended by paragraph irrespective of the
number of times you now click.