RE: environment variables vs defaults

From: ian . mondragon
Subject: RE: environment variables vs defaults
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:20:51 -0600

as for the debian issue, i have absolutely NO clue - i run freebsd almost
exclusively.  the driving force behind what i envision this project becoming
is simply that i'm sick of .rc, .conf, .whatever files.  i think the NeXT
defaults database was a brilliant idea in many ways and think it should be
not only kept very alive, but extended to be used in ways that would benefit
the system (whether that be darwin/os x or a bsd/linux system running
GNUstep).

therefore, the project that i started (which i am tentatively calling
GNUSys) is not just an env-to-defaults tool, but rather a 3-level system
that will use the standard *user* defaults database for (1) initializing
environment variables <level 1>, and (2) storing application settings as a
replacement for .rc & .conf files in a user's home directory <level 2>.
obviously, this second level will either require a severe hack to access the
defaults for an application (i.e. mutt) and provide an object that makes the
app think it's reading it's native configuration file (i.e. .muttrc), or a
partial rewrite of the application's method(s) for gathering default
settings.

the third level is a defaults database for the system itself, obviously
protected from evil hackery as much as possible, that provides the same
functionality for system applications/processes as level 2 does for user
applications.

not a small task by any means, but i (for some masochistic & possibly
foolish reason :-) see merrit in it, even if the payoff may only be patting
my own back (or kicking myself repeatedly).  there will be details of the
design & progress on my website (http://www.dragonhelix.org) when i get
around to it.

please feel free to offer suggestions...

- ian mondragon