RE: Some thoughts about GS

From: Tim . Bissell
Subject: RE: Some thoughts about GS
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 15:54:55 -0000

>After all, I hate being forced
> to use Java. It   [...]

As an old ObjC programmer I've got to say that I find it harder
and harder to go back to ObjC from Java.

+ Obj-C

+ The message passing syntax
+ categories
+ Clean, well-designed libraries (Foundation/AppKit)
+ Speed
+ better 'reflection' (rtti) than Java
+ Java

+ 'Free' garbage collection
+ Interfaces are cleaner than Protocols
+ No header files
+ Namespaces
+ threading support in the language
+ exception support in the language
+ no link stage
+ variable declarations are statements

If gcj ever works with Jigs, to get the speed up and size
down, Java could be the 'killer app' needed to get GNUstep
programming going.

Tim

http://www.drkw.com/email-disclaimer.html or contact the sender.