Re: Some thoughts about GS

From: Jeff Sciortino
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about GS
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:03:23 -0500

On Friday 05 January 2001 10:06, Marco Scheurer wrote:
> Please allow me to offer some random thoughts and comments, even if I've
> only been an observer of GNUstep, and never contributed anything.

Ditto
> Last, we could ask ourselves if some of the moves made by Apple would not
> be appropriate for GNUstep as well. I'm thinking about CoreFoundation and
> CoreGraphics and dropping DPS...

I've been wondering about DG(P)S myself... I assume it is necessary to have a
cross platform graphics system to make an easily portable GUI library, which
is the role (I assume) DGS is to play. I also assume that the gps libraries
would not be as portable since they are tied to X... I am waving my hands a
lot here though!

It also seems that with all the work that has been done on DGS (and the fact
that there is another project working on the same thing) it would be foolish
to abandon it. My understanding is that Apple walked away from DPS because
Adobe didn't want to support it any more, and they always had issues with the
licensing in order to distribute cross platform apps. DGS, of cource, would
have none of these issues.

What would it take to get the DGS /graphics stuff speeded up? How much CS
expertise is required?

Disclaimer: I am a Physicist/ Industrial Engineer with _very little_ CS
background, so any light anyone can shed would be most welcome.

Best Regards,

-Jeff