Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:19:57 +0100

Hi,

Helge Hess <helge.hess@skyrix.com> wrote (Sun, 07 Jan 2001 03:39:13 +0100):
> IMHO the discussion brought up some interesting points. Eg the
> discussion "use WM or write an ObjC window manager" is 100% the same to
> me like the discussion "use Qt/gtk+ or write gstep-gui". There already
> are stable implementations which have success and I wonder were there is
> the sense to make another one. It doesn't even provide MacOSX
> compatibility anymore (given that it enjoyed some major rewrites, eg
> Quartz) and therefore is completly on it's own.

Well, that was exactly my idea when I started this thread...;-) Since nobody
seemed to like the idea to share foundations with other projects due to the
superiority of GS, i.e. gtk+, I thought it would be logic that the window
manager - an important part in the X world - should be based on that 'superior'
tecyhnology as well, or at least make use of it - even if this takes some more
time to get to the point...

> IMHO the race there is already running and GNUstep-gui didn't even made
> it to the start. Further I think that the 'technological advantage'
> which GNUstep might have had three years ago is basically void now. In
> 1996 a NeXTstep+IB was incredible, today a PyQt, PyWxWindows or even
> Mozilla-XUL are (IMHO of course) much more powerful and flexible.

I agree with you that the advantage has gone (well, it was never there due to
the lack of PB and IB), but I do not agree with you that it's XUL or DHTML
which is the 'future'...;-)

> btw: IMHO OmniWeb is in a somewhat similiar situation. Nice technology,
> incomparable to IE and even NS6 nevertheless. Other people do not sleep
> too [even if they are C++ developers] ;-)

Exactly...

cheers, Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert | http://www.nice.ch/~phip/