Re: Reasons for a GStep windowmanager

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: Reasons for a GStep windowmanager
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 15:25:46 +0100

"]d" <id@windowmaker.org> wrote (Sun, 7 Jan 2001 21:00:52 +0000 (GMT)):
> > On the other hand, I do not see why you WM developers get so 'upset'
> when we are talking about another, possible replacement for WM in the
> context of GS, if you are focused on 99% non-GS anyway? I mean, if WM
> provides most of the required features, why then not just say 'hello,
> it's there, use it'?
>
> I am not upset indeed. I wonder why you think -we- are..

Because I have received emails which indicate exactly that...

> Is that mean you are upset or something? Well..I just think that you have
> such a wierd reason to me. Something like WMaker should rip something
> off. So I wonder why don't you just do-not-use them. And so I felt to

That's what I do, I do not use them - and I also think about future development
efforts, if you don't mind...

> myself that your problem is you just don't know us enough to make the
> discussion clear. BTW, I think you translated the 99%'s meaning in wrong
> way. If our major goal is not GNUstep, we probably became a GNOME window
> manager already. And if you did read the thread carefully, you'll notice
> that if we were upset of something, we will upset that a user didn't read
> our documents carefully before start complaining about the existing thing.

I did never complain about anything related to WM (initially I was always
referring to blackbox, for example), at least this was never my intention. I
suggested/talked about writing a real GNUstep Window Manager (for the
midterm/longterm vision) which could offer tighter integration with GS because
of some different design approaches (using GNUstep base, for example). I also
am aware that other X apps have to be integrated as well, but for me a 'GNUstep
window manager' should server GNUstep first, and other X apps (GNOME, KDE,
plain X...) second. This of course requires again the existence of many GNUstep
apps to make sense...

Remember, in the dock info panel (of WM) it says: GNUstep is part of the
GNUstep project (or some similar line). For me, this means more than just some
--blabla options which allow disabling some features, for me this implies an
ObjC interface which can be used by other GS apps to control the behaviour of
the window manager, perfect interaction between GS and the window manager (icon
management, focus handling, ...) and so forth.

Perhaps we all want the same anyway and this is all based on some confusion...
so I will be quiet now and go back to work.

cheers, Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert | http://www.nice.ch/~phip/