Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 16:41:03 +0100 (CET)

"Philippe C.D. Robert" <phr@projectcenter.ch> wrote:
> [...]
> Well, that was exactly my idea when I started this thread...;-)
> Since nobody seemed to like the idea to share foundations with other
> projects due to the superiority of GS, i.e. gtk+, I thought it would
> be logic that the window manager - an important part in the X world
> - should be based on that 'superior' tecyhnology as well, or at
> least make use of it - even if this takes some more time to get to
> the point...
> [...]

Actually, on  NeXTSTEP and OPENSTEP,  the equivalent functions  of the
X11 window managers are implemented, AFAIK, as PS code downloaded into
the DPS server. That is: the "window manager" on NeXTSTEP and OPENSTEP
is not written in Objective-C, but in Postscript.

Actually, it seems to be that all the features we would like to remove
from WindowMaker  to make it  a dedicated GNUstep window  manager, are
features  needed  actually  to  support plain  X11  applications.

I'm wondering if it would not  be better to move these features into a
generic wrapper GNUstep application that would interface and integrate
the X11  applications and the  GNUstep environment, independly  of the
window manager.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__    PGP Key ID:      0xEF5E9966                     (o_
mailto:pjb@imaginet.fr    PGP fingerprint: 00 F5 7B DB CA 51 8A AD 04 5B  //\

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against html email and Microsoft attachments.
/\ Software patents are endangering the computer industry all around the world.
   Join the LPF:     http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/      http://petition.eurolinux.org/