Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Jason H Clouse
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 17:37:40 -0500

<<This is maybe the most dangerous attitude we GNUstep folks can have!!!
gtk+ and Qt are *not* insufficient, they proof the contrary every day.
The fact that their API is not as elegant as GNUstep does not make them
bad or even unusable!!!>>

While what you say is true, that doesn't mean that they are perfect or
are equal to other solutions.  There's a lot more to it than the mere
fact that it does the job.  Even Windows can be used for real work.  It
is, in a certain sense, sufficient (and usable).  It also has an
absolutely astronomical number of developers and users, making it the
best supported OS on the market.  And it has a large company with plenty
of financial resources behind it.  Does this mean that Be should just
rewrite BeOS to be an implementation of a Win32 API?  Or that the Linux
kernel should be rewritten to more closely resemble the Windows kernel?
Of course not.  Obviously, people who choose to begin new software
projects do so because they find something missing in the other
offerings.

<<We can only 'win' if we take our competitors for serious!>>

Well, I wouldn't put it like that.  I wouldn't really see them as
competitors.  To me, winning would consist of: (1) Having a superb
cross-platform environment for client applications; (2) Being able to
take advantage of the MusicKit; (3) Being able to easily port
applications between MOSX and GNUstep; and (4) Having a nice (defined as
NeXTish) GUI to use, complete with good apps for web browsing, email,
system and network administration, MIDI, graphical composition, word
processing, etc.

Jason

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.