Re: Flattened GNUstep structure?

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Flattened GNUstep structure?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:20:54 +0100

Gregory Casamento wrote:
> Yes and no.  OPENSTEP/NeXTSTEP used a flat structure since they had fat
> binaries.  Basically the fat binaries acted in much the same way as the
> multilevel directory structure does in GNUstep.

The major feature of GNUstep make is, that you can store binaries for
multiple platforms while NeXTstep only stored multiple binaries for a
single OS just on different CPUs.

BTW: You don't need Workspace.app to abstract the deep hierachy. Just
use 'openapp', 'opentool' and/or the autogenerated wrapper scripts.

The only things I find sometimes a bit annoying with deep hierachies
are:
a) huge environment variables (this even broke the csh on NeXTstep ;-)
b) a bit of inconvinience when starting gdb (which I prefer doing
without a wrapper)

Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG - http://www.skyrix.com