Re: Flattened GNUstep structure?

From: Dan Pascu
Subject: Re: Flattened GNUstep structure?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:50:59 +0200 (EET)

On 11 Jan, Helge Hess wrote:
> The major feature of GNUstep make is, that you can store binaries for
> multiple platforms while NeXTstep only stored multiple binaries for a

How does this help an end user? I see it can help a developer build for
multiple platforms at the same time if he has the tool (cross
compilers), but an end user will never install multiple platform
binaries on the same partition. I mean I will not install the freebsd
and windows binaries on my linux partition, or my linux and freebsd
binaries when I install on the windows partition (for windows use).
Because basically I can only run the binary for one platform on that
exact platform.
An exception to this is keeping multiple binaries for one platform and
different backends.
What is the use of a deep structure if in 90% of cases you end up with
a bunch of empty dirs and one single binary hidden in one of them?

--
Dan