Re: A killer app?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: A killer app?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 07:03:28 -0800 (PST)

--- Helge Hess <helge.hess@skyrix.com> wrote:
> Gregory Casamento wrote:
> > I have taken a few OpenStep applications and *just compiled* them using
> > GNUstep. The biggest problem is not the code, but the nib files.  I've got
> > version of FreeSpace almost working.   The only reason I haven't released
> it is
> > 1) I don't feel it's ready since I haven't finished the nibs for it 2) I
> don't
> > have a great deal of spare time and 3) I've got a few other things I'm
> doing
> > for GNUstep which are more important.
>
> Ok. I guessed that .nib's are on of the biggest problems. Wasn't there a
> nib2gmodel which could convert the models to GNUstep ?

Yes, but it's not perfect.  Converting OS4.2 apps is not a problem, at least
for me.   I have the most trouble porting MOSX applications since I don't
currently own a machine which runs it.

> > I ported the Chronographer library which almost no changes.  I also start
> on a
> > port for the Sen:te CVL application.  Although I was able to port
> SenFoundation
> > and SenTestingKit, I am having problems compling the SenOyster library
> because
> > of some non-portable (read not OPENSTEP) code which depends on the perl.h
> and
> > EXTERN.h header files.
>
> What did you need to 'port' for SenFoundation/SenTestingKit ? Was that
> only the makefiles or did you encounter differences/problems ?

I literally was able to bring in the make files and do a build.   For
SenFoundation I believe that there were some obj-c runtime definitions which
are being used and, in the case of GNUstep, these are in the extensions library
not in the normal includes.

I can post the patch, if you want.   As I said there were almost no
modifications.   As I stated in a previous note, the only problem I am having
w/ CVL is that I cannot get SenOyster to build properly with the perl.h and
EXTERN.h headers I have on my system.

> Helge
> --
> SKYRIX Software AG  http://www.skyrix.com/
> Join the team:      http://www.skyrix.com/de/jobs/index.html

=====
Gregory John Casamento           Sr. Software Engineer