Re: Placement of resources

From: Mirko Viviani
Subject: Re: Placement of resources
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:58:36 +0100

On Wed, 07 Feb 2001, Jonathan Gapen  wrote:

> > I have choosen for the DGS init files (like gs_btokn.ps) to be placed in
> > $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Library/DGS
> > Is this the correct place for them or should those go into Libraries/DGS
> > or is Library/PostScript the place....
>
> It depends, really.  GNUstep uses libraries instead of frameworks,
> because proper framework support on most platforms may be impossible,

Framework support is not fully implemented yet but it could work on any
platform with some restrictions:

1. If dladdr() is not working/present the compiled framework installation dir
   is used. (that could be GNUSTEP_*_ROOT related)
2. Not all the systems could dynamically load a library.
3. nm could have problems finding the framework classes (at compile time).
4. Not every systems have dylib support. (but you could compile a framework
   with a static lib)

Anyway there are also problems using libs...

---
Bye,
     Mirko  <mirko.viviani@rccr.cremona.it>   (NeXTmail, MIME)
                    <mirko@yourbox.net>