Re: AppIcon patch revisited

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: AppIcon patch revisited
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 08:21:34 +0000

On Friday, February 9, 2001, at 03:09 AM, Dan Pascu wrote:

> > I don't quite understand why this is not possible. The window in the
> > appicon belongs to gnustep, so it should have control over it to do
> > whatever it likes, maybe except moving it. But if it implements dnd it
>
> Sorry to reply to myself, but rereading this it just poped to me that
> even moving may be possible, if gnustep stops relaying the left mouse
> click to wmaker for the period when it wants to be able to control its
> movement.

Actually, I've tried this ... the only problem is that I had to code the
backend to move the parent of the iconwindow rather than the iconwindow
itsself ... and there appears to be a problem with the window being
unminiaturised, and the parent window disappearing while we are telling
it to move ... which generates an X error.

> But if you control its movement wmaker will not know it moves and will
> not try to dock it if it gets near the dock (wmaker tries to dock it
> only while the appicon is dragged around by itself).

This is really my complaint.  If this was not the case,

> btw, why is appicon movement needed under program control (not user
> control)?

Under OpenStep, they are the same thing ... the user clicks on the appicon
and drags ... the program decides how the appicon should react to that ...
and usually moves the appicon to follow the mouse ... but has the right to
do something different if it wants to.